Home

World News

Mark Carney tariffs
News Blogs
Afham

Carney calls Trump’s fresh tariffs a ‘miscalculation’ after trade talks collapse

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney has described new U.S. tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump as a “miscalculation” after last-minute trade negotiations between Canada and the United States collapsed. The talks had raised hopes of a broader agreement after both governments reported progress earlier this week. However, negotiations broke down late Friday after Canada objected to changes in the U.S. position that Carney said were unfair and economically damaging. The United States has now imposed 50% tariffs on a range of Canadian goods, escalating an already tense trade dispute. The new measures affect billions of dollars in Canadian exports, while important sectors such as steel, automobiles, lumber and other strategic industries remain caught in the wider tariff conflict. In a televised address, Carney said Canada had been negotiating in good faith but was unwilling to accept an agreement that compromised its economic interests or sovereignty. He argued that Washington had “asked too much and offered too little.” Canada has responded by preparing dollar-for-dollar retaliatory tariffs on selected U.S. products, including steel, dairy products, appliances, agricultural equipment, pulp and paper, and electronics. The new Canadian measures are scheduled to take effect after Labour Day. Carney warned that the dispute could increase costs for consumers and businesses on both sides of the border. However, he said Canada would focus on strengthening domestic industries and diversifying its international trading relationships. The collapse marks another major deterioration in the traditionally close economic relationship between Canada and the United States. With no immediate new negotiations scheduled, businesses are facing increased uncertainty over supply chains, investment and future market access.

Read More »
Russia strikes
News Blogs
Afham

Russia ‘purposefully’ hit critical infrastructure in latest strikes, Kyiv mayor says

Russia deliberately targeted critical infrastructure in Kyiv during its latest wave of attacks, according to Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko, as the Ukrainian capital continues to recover from one of the heaviest Russian bombardments in recent months. Klitschko said on Thursday that a critical infrastructure facility in Kyiv had been “purposefully” attacked, marking the first such strike on the capital in several months. The attack could disrupt hot-water supplies in parts of the Desnianskyi and Dniprovskyi districts, officials warned. The infrastructure strike came after a large overnight Russian missile and drone barrage that killed at least 16 people and injured more than 40 across Kyiv and surrounding areas, according to Ukrainian officials. Residential buildings, a school, a children’s hospital and a kindergarten were among the sites damaged. Ukraine’s authorities said the attacks involved a combination of ballistic, cruise and hypersonic missiles alongside a large number of drones. Ukrainian air defenses intercepted many of the incoming weapons, but officials said ballistic missiles remain particularly difficult to stop because of shortages of Patriot interceptor missiles. President Volodymyr Zelenskyy described the assault as calculated and called for stronger international support for Ukraine’s air-defense capabilities. Russia, meanwhile, said its strikes targeted Ukrainian military-related facilities, including drone-component production sites, a military depot and a logistics hub. The latest attacks have increased concerns over the safety of Kyiv’s civilian population and essential services. Ukrainian officials say the deliberate targeting of infrastructure could put additional pressure on residents, particularly as the country prepares for another difficult winter. The strikes also underline the continuing intensity of the Russia-Ukraine war, despite ongoing diplomatic efforts to seek an eventual resolution.

Read More »

Top News

Mark Carney tariffs
News Blogs

Carney calls Trump’s fresh tariffs a ‘miscalculation’ after trade talks collapse

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney has described new U.S. tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump as a “miscalculation” after last-minute trade negotiations between Canada and the United States collapsed. The talks had raised hopes of a broader agreement after both governments reported progress earlier this week. However, negotiations broke down late Friday after Canada objected to changes in the U.S. position that Carney said were unfair and economically damaging. The United States has now imposed 50% tariffs on a range of Canadian goods, escalating an already tense trade dispute. The new measures affect billions of dollars in Canadian exports, while important sectors such as steel, automobiles, lumber and other strategic industries remain caught in the wider tariff conflict. In a televised address, Carney said Canada had been negotiating in good faith but was unwilling to accept an agreement that compromised its economic interests or sovereignty. He argued that Washington had “asked too much and offered too little.” Canada has responded by preparing dollar-for-dollar retaliatory tariffs on selected U.S. products, including steel, dairy products, appliances, agricultural equipment, pulp and paper, and electronics. The new Canadian measures are scheduled to take effect after Labour Day. Carney warned that the dispute could increase costs for consumers and businesses on both sides of the border. However, he said Canada would focus on strengthening domestic industries and diversifying its international trading relationships. The collapse marks another major deterioration in the traditionally close economic relationship between Canada and the United States. With no immediate new negotiations scheduled, businesses are facing increased uncertainty over supply chains, investment and future market access.

Read More »
Russia strikes
News Blogs

Russia ‘purposefully’ hit critical infrastructure in latest strikes, Kyiv mayor says

Russia deliberately targeted critical infrastructure in Kyiv during its latest wave of attacks, according to Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko, as the Ukrainian capital continues to recover from one of the heaviest Russian bombardments in recent months. Klitschko said on Thursday that a critical infrastructure facility in Kyiv had been “purposefully” attacked, marking the first such strike on the capital in several months. The attack could disrupt hot-water supplies in parts of the Desnianskyi and Dniprovskyi districts, officials warned. The infrastructure strike came after a large overnight Russian missile and drone barrage that killed at least 16 people and injured more than 40 across Kyiv and surrounding areas, according to Ukrainian officials. Residential buildings, a school, a children’s hospital and a kindergarten were among the sites damaged. Ukraine’s authorities said the attacks involved a combination of ballistic, cruise and hypersonic missiles alongside a large number of drones. Ukrainian air defenses intercepted many of the incoming weapons, but officials said ballistic missiles remain particularly difficult to stop because of shortages of Patriot interceptor missiles. President Volodymyr Zelenskyy described the assault as calculated and called for stronger international support for Ukraine’s air-defense capabilities. Russia, meanwhile, said its strikes targeted Ukrainian military-related facilities, including drone-component production sites, a military depot and a logistics hub. The latest attacks have increased concerns over the safety of Kyiv’s civilian population and essential services. Ukrainian officials say the deliberate targeting of infrastructure could put additional pressure on residents, particularly as the country prepares for another difficult winter. The strikes also underline the continuing intensity of the Russia-Ukraine war, despite ongoing diplomatic efforts to seek an eventual resolution.

Read More »
Trump Canada tariffs
News Blogs

Trump pauses new tariffs on Canada for three days, saying deal close

US President Donald Trump has paused planned new tariffs on Canadian imports for three days, saying the United States and Canada are close to reaching a trade agreement. The temporary suspension came just hours before the proposed 50% tariffs were due to take effect. Trump said the two countries had made significant progress toward a deal and that the additional time would allow officials to finalize the agreement. Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney also confirmed that substantial progress had been made, although Canadian officials indicated that important issues still need to be resolved. The proposed tariffs would affect around $20 billion worth of Canadian goods, raising concerns among businesses on both sides of the border. Industries including dairy, alcohol, lumber and other sectors have been closely watching the negotiations because higher tariffs could increase costs and disrupt established supply chains. The latest development represents another attempt by Washington and Ottawa to prevent their trade dispute from escalating. The United States and Canada maintain one of the world’s largest bilateral trading relationships, making tariff decisions particularly important for manufacturers, exporters and consumers. Trump has also suggested that the long-discussed Keystone XL oil pipeline could potentially return to the negotiating table, adding another economic issue to the broader discussions. For now, the three-day pause provides both governments with a limited window to complete negotiations. If an agreement is finalized, it could prevent the immediate introduction of the steep tariffs and ease pressure on Canadian exporters. However, with several major issues still under discussion, the outcome remains uncertain.

Read More »
UK supports Ukraine
News Blogs

UK ‘supports Ukraine 100%’, Burnham says, after Russia’s drone warning

The United Kingdom has reaffirmed its strong backing for Ukraine after Russia warned that British military support and the supply of drones could further escalate the war. Andy Burnham, the UK’s prime minister, said Britain supports Ukraine “100%” as tensions continued to rise between London and Moscow. His comments came after Russia accused the UK of contributing to the escalation of the conflict through its military assistance to Kyiv. The dispute comes as drones have become an increasingly important part of the war. Ukraine has relied heavily on unmanned systems for battlefield operations, surveillance and long-range strikes, while Russia has also expanded its use of drones against Ukrainian targets. Britain has been one of Ukraine’s leading military supporters since Russia launched its full-scale invasion in February 2022. The UK has committed substantial military assistance, including drones and air-defence equipment, and has repeatedly said that Ukraine must be able to defend itself against Russian aggression. The latest warning from Moscow highlights the growing confrontation between Russia and Western countries supporting Kyiv. Russia has repeatedly criticised British and other European military assistance, arguing that weapons supplied to Ukraine are prolonging the conflict. For Britain, however, support for Ukraine remains a central part of its European security policy. The government has continued to emphasise the importance of Ukraine’s sovereignty and its ability to resist Russian attacks. The exchange also comes amid continuing uncertainty over the future course of the war. With drone warfare expanding rapidly on both sides, military technology and defence cooperation are becoming increasingly important to Ukraine’s strategy. Burnham’s comments signal that London does not intend to retreat from its backing for Kyiv despite Moscow’s warnings. The development could further underline the increasingly tense relationship between Britain and Russia as the war continues.

Read More »
Trump threatens Oman
News Blogs

Trump threatens to bomb US ally Oman if it ‘gets in the way’ over Iran deal

US President Donald Trump has threatened to bomb Oman if the Gulf ally interferes with Washington’s efforts to reach an agreement with Iran, escalating tensions across the Middle East. Trump made the warning during a Fox News interview on Monday, saying the United States would attack Oman if it “gets in the way.” The threat comes as Oman plays an important diplomatic role between Washington and Tehran. Oman has been involved in discussions aimed at reopening the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most strategically important shipping routes. The waterway has faced severe disruption during the conflict, affecting global energy supplies and shipping. Trump’s remarks followed reports that Iran and Oman were moving toward an understanding over shipping through the Strait of Hormuz. The United States has opposed arrangements that could undermine its objectives in the region, while Oman has traditionally maintained relations with both Iran and the United States. The comments also came as a 60-day US-Iran negotiation period expired without a breakthrough. Trump has continued to demand that Iran surrender, while Tehran has maintained its position amid ongoing tensions. Oman’s role is particularly sensitive because the country has historically served as a diplomatic backchannel between the United States and Iran. Any direct confrontation involving Oman could significantly widen the conflict and create further uncertainty around the Strait of Hormuz. The latest warning has therefore raised concerns about the future of US relations with a long-standing Gulf partner, while adding another layer of risk to already fragile efforts to resolve the Iran conflict.

Read More »
Luigi Mangione guilty plea
News Blogs

Luigi Mangione admits killing healthcare boss as victim’s family condemn ‘heinous act’

Luigi Mangione has pleaded guilty in a federal court to charges connected to the killing of UnitedHealthcare executive Brian Thompson, bringing a major development in a case that has attracted intense national attention. Mangione admitted that he tracked Thompson and fatally shot him in Manhattan on December 4, 2024. During the court hearing, Mangione acknowledged that he knew what he was doing when he targeted Thompson. Prosecutors said the attack was deliberate, while Mangione described his actions as being connected to his frustrations with the US healthcare and insurance system. His guilty plea avoids a federal trial, although significant legal proceedings remain. Thompson’s family welcomed the guilty plea but stressed the devastating impact of his death. They described the killing as an extremely serious and heinous act and said they want accountability and a sentence reflecting the severity of the crime. The family attended the federal court hearing as Mangione entered his plea. Mangione faces the possibility of life imprisonment under the federal charges. His sentencing is scheduled for December 18, 2026, with prosecutors indicating that they will seek a life sentence. The federal government is not pursuing the death penalty. The case is not necessarily over. Mangione also faces a separate murder prosecution in New York state court. His lawyers have sought to have those charges dismissed, arguing that the federal conviction could raise constitutional double-jeopardy concerns. Prosecutors, however, remain committed to pursuing the state case. The killing sparked a wider debate about the US healthcare system, but authorities and Thompson’s family have emphasized that grievances over healthcare cannot justify violence or murder.

Read More »

Shorts

Israel seizes castle in Lebanon as it expands ground offensive

Israeli forces have captured the historic Beaufort Castle in southern Lebanon as part of an expanded ground offensive against the Iran-backed group Hezbollah. The seizure marks Israel’s deepest military incursion into Lebanese territory in more than 26 years and signals a significant escalation in the ongoing conflict between the two sides.

The medieval fortress, also known as Beaufort Castle, sits on a strategic hilltop overlooking large areas of southern Lebanon and northern Israel. Military analysts say control of the site provides a valuable observation point and could strengthen Israeli operations in the region. Israeli officials stated that the area had been used by Hezbollah to coordinate attacks and launch projectiles toward northern Israel.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he had ordered the military to expand its ground maneuver in Lebanon and deepen control over areas previously held by Hezbollah. Defense Minister Israel Katz described the capture of the castle as a major tactical achievement and indicated that Israeli forces intend to maintain a presence in the area.

The operation comes despite a U.S.-brokered ceasefire that officially remains in effect. Israel has also issued new evacuation warnings for civilians south of the Zahrani River as fighting intensifies. Lebanese authorities have condemned the offensive, accusing Israel of pursuing a “scorched-earth” policy that has displaced more than one million people and caused widespread destruction across southern Lebanon.

The latest developments have raised concerns among international leaders that the conflict could further destabilize the region and complicate ongoing diplomatic efforts involving the United States, Lebanon, and Iran. France has already called for an emergency meeting of the United Nations Security Council to address the escalating violence.