Russia deliberately targeted critical infrastructure in Kyiv during its latest wave of attacks, according to Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko, as the Ukrainian capital continues to recover from one of the heaviest Russian bombardments in recent months.
Klitschko said on Thursday that a critical infrastructure facility in Kyiv had been “purposefully” attacked, marking the first such strike on the capital in several months. The attack could disrupt hot-water supplies in parts of the Desnianskyi and Dniprovskyi districts, officials warned.
The infrastructure strike came after a large overnight Russian missile and drone barrage that killed at least 16 people and injured more than 40 across Kyiv and surrounding areas, according to Ukrainian officials. Residential buildings, a school, a children’s hospital and a kindergarten were among the sites damaged.
Ukraine’s authorities said the attacks involved a combination of ballistic, cruise and hypersonic missiles alongside a large number of drones. Ukrainian air defenses intercepted many of the incoming weapons, but officials said ballistic missiles remain particularly difficult to stop because of shortages of Patriot interceptor missiles.
President Volodymyr Zelenskyy described the assault as calculated and called for stronger international support for Ukraine’s air-defense capabilities. Russia, meanwhile, said its strikes targeted Ukrainian military-related facilities, including drone-component production sites, a military depot and a logistics hub.
The latest attacks have increased concerns over the safety of Kyiv’s civilian population and essential services. Ukrainian officials say the deliberate targeting of infrastructure could put additional pressure on residents, particularly as the country prepares for another difficult winter.
The strikes also underline the continuing intensity of the Russia-Ukraine war, despite ongoing diplomatic efforts to seek an eventual resolution.
